Saturday, September 12, 2009

Okay, doing pretty well today, finally. We are still trying to arrive at an appropriate Coumadin level to manage my blood clot. But in the meantime, the dose has been cut back a bit, and I feel much better.

Today was the first day I was actually able to get out and about a little. Larry took me out for a ride and out to lunch. Beautiful day, and it felt so good to get out in the fresh air on this beautiful Michigan day. But I still tire very easily, so we weren't out too long.

Saw the plastic surgeon yesterday as my reconstruction process continues (they put another fill in my tissue expander ... ouch!). The nurse told me that she was unaware that I was going to need radiation as well as the chemo. She told me that as far as reconstruction goes, "radiation is not our friend." Radiation shrinks things (such as my "microscopic spot"), and can also shrink the skin we have been working to expand. The nurse scared me to death when she told me that when the time comes, if the doctor doesn't have enough skin after my radiation treatments, he will likely have to take skin from my back. Ugh, now THAT is something I would appreciate your prayers on for sure. I sure hope that my radiation therapy doesn't shrink my skin to the point where the doc has to harvest skin from elsewhere. Gulp. Radiation is a ways down the road though, and won't begin until after my chemo is complete. I have not even started chemo as yet. So I am going to try to put the possibility of skin harvesting out of my mind for right now.

I am still working on my "wall walking" exercises to strengthen my right arm. As of now, I can't yet lift my right arm above shoulder level. The therapy they've told me to do is to stand with my arm outstretched to the wall, and "walk" up the wall with my fingers as high as I can go. And each day, I should move closer to the wall. It is very hard and it hurts; my arm is really seized up. But I am not going to give up and take the chance on my arm "sticking like that" as my muscles repair themselves.

I also have quite a bit of bruising in the surgical area. That should have been gone by now, but thanks to the Coumadin, that area is very black and blue now, covering an incision that stretches to about 10 inches. Not a very pretty picture. But it's reality.

Sleep is coming a little easier now, though it's still a challenge. I am a side-sleeper, but I can't sleep on my right (mastectomy) side (still too sore). I can't sleep on my left side because gravity causes my chest to hurt. Of course, sleeping on my stomach is out of the question. So I try to arrange my pillows in such a way that I can find comfort on my back. But I often wind up in the recliner to finish out the night.

My thanks to all who read and follow my blog. I find it such a comfort to know that people care about me and my progress. I have had some people tell me they don't know how to leave a comment. To do so, you have to click on a particular blog (by date or title) listed on the left side of the main blog page. When you click on a selected blog and scroll to the bottom of it, there is a spot there for comments, if you feel so inclined.

Well, this is my favorite evening for TV, watching the RFD Network out of Branson, Missouri (I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Branson!). The Saturday night lineup starts with the Gaither Gospel Hour, then moves on to Crooke and Chase, followed by The Marty Stuart Show (hubba, hubba), which always includes Marty's wife, Connie Smith, one of my all-time favorites and a mentor of mine. The evening lineup has begun now and I don't want to miss one note of this treasured Southern Gospel music, which is so near and dear to my heart, having been raised on this sweet music. And if I may mention here, the honor I possess in not only knowing, but having worked for Al Brumley and family, one of my most cherished accomplishments. As I was rolled into the operating room, my heart and head were singing a classic Brumley gospel song, "Jesus Hold My Hand." And He did. Thank you, Lord!

Thank you all for your prayers. I feel so much better than I have been feeling for the past week, when I was beginning to have doubts as to whether I would EVER feel good again in my life. Your prayers and mine are being answered. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

God bless,
Deb

2 comments:

  1. It's so good to hear that you had a good day yesterday!
    Onward and upward!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure hope you continue to feel better. Love and miss ya

    ReplyDelete