Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Another doctor appointment today, this time with the oncologist. We left his office very encouraged. He plugged all the information from my pathology report into his computer and "ran the numbers," so to speak. The computer came up with a graph, specific to my case, that showed my chances of successful treatment. If I do nothing more at this point except having had the surgery (no chemo, no radiation), I have a 40% chance the cancer will return. If I do have chemo and radiation, I have only a 14% chance it will return! Pretty good odds! Bring on the treatments!

They would like to begin my chemo treatments next week, but are still trying to manage this blood clot in my lung. My INR (blood) levels have been all over the place, so they would like to wait until my levels stabilize before starting the chemo. This means pretty much daily blood draws so that levels can be monitored. I have lost count of the times I've been poked and prodded. It's a wonder I have any blood left in my body.

The oncologist I saw today (a different one in that group) seems to be in disagreement with the first oncologist I saw from that office. Today's doctor seems to think I will not need the extra 7 months of Herceptin treatments. If he's right, that would be wonderful! He is going to discuss it with the first doctor and let us know.

All in all, it was a pretty good day. Each day gets a little bit better. As of now though, the doctors seem much more concerned with the blood clot than the cancer, because, to quote my oncologist today, "THE CANCER IS GONE!" Yay! So now, I'll just stay on the blood thinners to manage the clot, begin my chemo as soon as I am able, and forge ahead.

Because I need radiation as well, my reconstruction may be delayed. Radiation has a harsh affect on skin and underlying tissue and organs. The plastic surgeon may want to let me heal real well after radiation ends before he continues with reconstruction. I don't care. The most important thing is to manage the cancer and the blood clot. Cosmetic stuff can come in due time.

Now for more thank-you's. I don't know how I will EVER be able to thank all of you for caring, for following my blog, for all the gifts, cards, emails, comments on my blog, and EVERYTHING else. I can't explain how deeply all this has touched me. I honestly didn't think so many cared; all the love and prayers and support that have come my way have been so humbling, and I am so graciously thankful to all of you, each and every one. I hope you'll continue to keep me in your prayers. I have a long way to go, so don't give up on me!

Love to all,
Deb

1 comment:

  1. Just so you know... Your Wixom fan club is still sitting in the front row of the cheering section.
    Great news by the way... what do the kids say? WooHoo or something like that... :)

    ReplyDelete