Thursday, September 17, 2009

Hello for today,

We just got home from a "chemo class," in preparation for my chemo treatments that begin on Tuesday. It will be a very demanding 4 months. Not only will we have to make the trip to Troy Beaumont for a chemo treatment every other Tuesday, but we will also have to see the doctor the day before chemo, and return to the chemo clinic the day after chemo for a shot to keep my white blood cell count up. So it's THREE trips to Beaumont Hospital every other week instead of just one. And now I am REALLY SORRY we no longer live a stone's throw away there in nearby Rochester. Living way out here in Ortonville, it's nearly a 30-mile trip one way to the hospital. What a drag.

Then there'll be the other doctor visits in between, to the plastic surgeon -- those are also every other week, and just as far away from home.

We also learned today about all the specific negative side affects of the chemo. I won't go into all of them here, but it sure doesn't sound like much fun. Thousands of women go through this same regimine each year, however. I am not the first, and unfortunately I won't be the last. They've all made it through, and so will I, even though I am sure not looking forward to it. Larry vows to drive me to each treatment, and sit through each of them with me. I am so fortunate. Like so many other spouses who are primary caregivers to their wives through this God-awful disease, Larry deserves a medal. There is a lot more to this than meets the eye.

The lady who conducted our one-on-one chemo class today, Veronica, is a recent breast cancer survivor herself. In fact, she just finished the last of her treatements (both chemo and radiation) in May. Her hair is just now beginning to come in. She was a great inspiration to me, and was able to offer a firsthand view of what I can expect. In addition, her husband is the head of oncology of the Royal Oak Beaumont facility. So she had the advantage of living with her oncologist, who could give her extra tips on how to get through the rigerous treatments, which she passed along to me. She was a great comfort, and as I said, such an inspiration.


And OH MAN, these arm exercises are extremely painful! I am not doing so well with them and should be further along. I keep trying to "walk the walls" as the exercises dictate, but I sure can't get very far up that wall yet. It just hurts ... a LOT. But I can't give up -- I do NOT want to lose full use of my right arm!

So that's it for today. I always appreciate knowing someone out there is reading these blogs. You are all my support team, and from all of you, I draw such strength. Thank you.

Love to all,

Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment