Saturday, April 3, 2010

Feeling Better

Hello everyone,

Well, as you can see, I have changed out my photo from the one showing my FIVE-ALARM radiation burn, to one that shows a much more pain-free me. I got many comments on my radiation photo, and I apologize for alarming you. Yes, it was painful, but that is part of this process, this ordeal. I am using my blog not only to communicate with all of you who care so much, but also as a personal journal of this process. So I am trying to show all the ups and downs of what this journey has entailed. WHEW!


In this new photo, I am still wearing my trusty wig, which is the color my hair was pre-"Big-C." But underneath this wig is a snow-white, new crop of hair that's coming in at what Larry says is, "a pretty good clip." Groannnnnn!

So, as you can see, I am feeling a little better, and I hope this eases the minds of those of you whom I had concerned with that last photo of the radiation burn. As you can also see, and as I have mentioned a time or two, I have gained 30(!) pounds! No one told me that the chemo treatments I'd be getting were full of steroids! Doctors have only recently told me that a weight gain was expected. I just hope I can get it back off again! Now that the weather is getting nicer, and I am feeling a bit better, perhaps I can do some walking.

I still tire very easily, I'm still pretty weak, and I can't do as much as I could before all this started. But gradually, my strength is returning, and I am spending less time in bed. Thank goodness, because I am getting tired of lying in this bed, getting up only to go to doctor appointments!

Next on the docket is the completion of the reconstructive process. My plastic surgeon tells me I have to wait for three to four months after radiation is complete, to let the skin and underlying tissue heal before he performs the surgeries necessary to reconstruct the breast. So now, I have some "time off" from so many doctor appointments each week.

I did recently see two of the doctors on my team (two different appointments). One was my lymphedema doctor, and the other my medical oncologist. Both told me they expect me to "be fine," and be a long-term survivor. Praise God, because this is a bit different than I HAD been told previously. I am now on Arimidex, a hormone inhibitor, which will hopefully block the hormones that drove the cancer to begin with. I will be on the Armimdex daily for five years. If during that time the cancer does not return, I will be considered to have been cured. So keep praying! And I humbly thank all of you for the prayers you have sent my way already. PRAYER WORKS!


So until next time, Larry and I would both like to wish all of you a most blessed Easter. PRAISE GOD, THE LORD IS RISEN!

Love to all,
Deb 33333333333

2 comments:

  1. OK... I like that photo much better... that is the smile I remember and I think you look GREAT!!
    Five years eh? well after what you have had to go through the past few months - that should be a breeze.

    So... get up and get out! I will venture to say this nice early spring is probably for you so let the flowers bloom and glow around you kiddo!

    Gosh it was so nice yesterday and today you almost forget about the stuff we had on the ground just a few short weeks ago. Seems like nature just wanted us to let us know everthing is alive and renewing itself.

    Keep the faith Miss Deb... the worst is behind you and sounds good to have a few months off to get your strength and happiness back!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie,
    I am so glad to hear you are getting some strength back. I think about you all the time, and you are always in my prayers.

    With Love,

    Michele

    ReplyDelete