Friday, December 11, 2009

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

Hello to my dear family and friends!

It's been a long time since I've posted a blog. My apologies for that; I understand many people have been concerned as to where I've been. I am once again blessed that so many are concerned. THANK YOU!

Now to explain. Chemo's been a little rough. No, a LOT rough. The second four-hour round of chemo was worse than the first. The debilitating bone pain has now subsided for the most part (after 9 days), but the neuropathy (numbness) in my fingers has worsened. It is unknown whether the feeling will ever return to my fingers, and that has been worrisome. It is really difficult to have so little feeling in my extremities. I have been complaining to my oncologists about these side effects, and the doctors are deciding whether to weaken my dose of Taxol so it won't be so hard on me, and so that the serious and negative side effects won't be permanent. I have my pre-chemo doctor visit on Monday, the day before my next (7th) chemo treatment. I'm sure they will tell me at that time what the plan is to lessen these difficult side effects.

Up to now, I have been fortunate enough to keep my eyebrows and eyelashes, but now, they are one by one beginning to fall out. Thank goodness for eyeliner and eyebrow pencil!

I had yet another fill to my tissue expander yesterday too. The skin is now stretching so much, it is very taut and tight and very uncomfortable. But again, the object is to stretch the skin as much as possible, so that when I begin radiation, if so doing shrinks my skin, there will still be enough to reconstruct without having to harvest skin from elsewhere. (gulp)

The weather here in Michigan has turned very cold now. Yesterday it was only 16 degrees; today it reached about 20 degrees. We had our first snow earlier this week. The weatherman had predicted that we'd wake to snow, so when I got out of bed, I went to the window. Sure enough, we'd had a little snow, it was c-c-c-cold and very windy. I don't mean to sound sappy, but I have to say, as "nasty" as our weather was, for the first time, I didn't look at it as nasty. No, I literally thanked God that I got to see another season change. I sure look at things differently now.

My husband Larry continues to be such a blessing to me. He has truly been here for me every step of the way, and I know it hasn't been easy for him. If anyone has any ideas on how I can ever show him how much I appreciate his love and caring, please let me know! His compassion and his management of all my doctor appointments and insurance issues, on top of his TLC for me is something no one could ever put a price on. Larry has not been feeling well of late himself and has been battling bronchitis for a couple of weeks.

My sister Brenda took me to the last four-hour chemo treatment, and is planning to take me to the next one this coming Tuesday. This gives Larry a bit of a break, and Bren and I sit and blab the four hours away. It's so nice. I am very thankful to Bren for her constant support too; by the time Bren picks me up, then sits with me through the four-hour treatment, then we go out to lunch, and she drives me back home, it sucks up the better part of her day. I'm sure, especially at this busy time of year, she could use this time for other things. I am so appreciative of her giving up her time for me!

Where the heck is Tiger Woods? (Nancy Grace is tearing him up as I write this.)

Like everyone, we are preparing for CHRISTmas at our house. I am looking forward to it more this year than I ever have! Another blessing! With each year that the term "Merry Christmas" becomes more and more threatened, I have taken JOY in saying it every chance I get. This year, I am especially happy to say it. I feel like George Bailey -- I want to shout it from the rooftops! (I just wish I had his energy!)

Until next time, my sincere prayer is that each and every one of you reading this has a wonderful CHRISTmas and a blessed and HEALTHY New Year. And thank you ALL for all your prayers and messages of support for me as well as for Larry. We are truly grateful for all the support, without which, this journey would be so much more difficult!

Love to all and MERRY, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Debbie 33333

1 comment: