Thursday, November 12, 2009

Rough Week!

It was a rough week from this last round of chemo, that's for sure. I have always been nauseous after a chemo treatment, usually from 7-10 days. That has been the usual pattern. However, with each treatment, the nauseousnous was more severe. Today is day 9 from the last treatment, and I am finally beginning to feel a little bit less sick. But boy, it's been a tough week. (Or maybe I am just a big baby.)

On Monday of this week, I awoke with a severe bloody nose. Never had one of those in my life. I don't know where that came from, but it was definitely an issue. So it was back to the Coumadin clinic to see if they could determine the cause. Once again, another adjustment in my meds seems to have alleviated the problem. After that, it was on to the Health Department for the H1N1 vaccine. My poor old left arm, which always gets the living daylights poked out of it, was sore for a couple of days after the vaccine. I don't know if the shot added to the severity of my nauseousness or not, but I was back in bed, where I remain most of the time.

Today I had another fill in my tissue expander. 55 cc's. The last time I had a fill, it was so painful, I cried (yep, I'm a big baby). Well today, I had the nurse numb the area, and the procedure was MUCH more tolerable. From now on, numbing will be the order of the day. And I am glad that the feeling is starting to come back in my chest, even though it's only a little (but enough to feel the syringe filling my expander!).

So yep, it's been a rough week, especially since it was so hard to get out of bed to go to all the doctor appointments.

And ... chemo number 5 on Tuesday again already. These next, and final, four treatments will last four hours instead of the two hours I've been having. Sigh.

How eager I am to get back to feeling well! I see so many things around here I want to tackle. Mostly, I'd like to get rid of so many things around here, reduce some clutter, and prepare this house to sell, hopefully to go on the market in the spring. My main goal is to get back to Rochester where I belong. It is very hard being so far out here in the country, so far from my doctors and the hospital -- about 30 miles one way. That's a long ride. And even longer when you don't feel well.

My son Mark is coming home from CMU this evening. How nice it will be to have him home for the weekend. He hasn't been home since the fall semester started. It is always so nice to have him around. And of course, he'll be home next weekend too, for Thanksgiving.

Ahhh ... Thanksgiving. I have cooked Thanksgiving dinner every year since my beloved mom died in 1982. The last couple of years though, with how our family has grown, there just isn't room in our house for everyone to sit comfortably and eat together. And this year, it will be even harder for me to prepare the feast. So, as we've done for the last 2 years, we will be going out to a Thanksgiving buffet. Much easier for the whole family to sit at the same table, and no prep or cleanup for me!

Then comes Christmas. Usually, I am quite the Scrooge. But this year, my eyes have been opened to a whole new attitude. I am thankful to be here for another Christmas. So thankful, and blessed.

Larry's hanging in there. He humbly thanks everyone who remembered his service on Veteran's Day. As a Vietnam vet who saw heavy combat and doesn't like to think or talk about that experience at all, he is still graciously appreciative of those who took the time to remember his service in helping to keep us free, and thank him for it. Larry is quite a man. I am blessed by his love and care. I know my needs and my condition are not easy on him. After all, he went from having me as his companion, who did so many things with him -- traveling, motorcycling, dining out, and just enjoying the companionship of being together all the time (wherever you saw one of us, you saw the other) -- to him being my constant and exclusive caregiver, as well as houskeeper, laundry man, and cook. That is not an easy transition. Yet, he's handled it with grace and patience. Sometimes I don't know how he does it, along with all the other chores and duties that come with running a household (grocery shopping, lawn care, handy man, car maintenance, bill paying, etc.). Add to that his management of all the health insurance administrative concerns, the management and arrangement of my MANY doctor appointments (as well as taking me to each and every one of them), it's just a huge undertaking, and has to be a huge burden. I have learned so much more about love now, and have seen firsthand the true meaning behind the words of our wedding vows. No one has to tell me Larry's crown will be filled with stars.

I want to thank all my followers on here, all those who have joined my blog site and read them all, and leave comments. Again, I have heard from people who seem to have trouble leaving comments here on the blog. As far as I know, you have to look at the left side where all my specific blogs are listed by date. Click on one specifically, and scroll to the bottom, where there's an empty field labeled: "Post Comment." I think that's all you have to do to leave a comment, but I've heard that doesn't always work. Sigh. Anyway, thank you all for reading my blogs and keeping up with my progress. The progress is slow, for sure. But I have trust in my many doctors and faith in the Lord. With a team like that, I know I'm in the best hands!

Love and thanks to all,
Deb 3333333333

2 comments:

  1. Have a nice Thanksgiving. I remember those Thanksgiving past, you were kind enough to even have my parents. How things change. Hope you feel better soon, so hard to think of you so sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a rough week ... thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete