Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Lord Shone Down on Us Today!

It's been a long time again since I've blogged. Sorry 'bout that. I have been trying still, to get over the chemo treatments; they were on the rough side for me. I have still been very tired, sluggish, listless and still have a bit of leftover bone pain. I am told by the doctors that my chemo treatments were very strong, so maybe my reactions were normal rather than baby-fied. Additionally, I have gained a whopping 30 pounds, which has been so discouraging to me. The doctor told me that this was normal, because the chemo I was given was all steriods. He also said it would be hard to lose these extra pounds because I am post-menopausal, and also, too tired from the treatments to exercise. Well, BAH.

But now to Larry. Today was his heart procedure. They thought they detected a blockage in one of his arteries, and thought he may need an angioplasty as well as a stent. They got in there today, and guess what: everything was clear! Therefore, Larry needed no stent, and no angioplasty! The blockage they thought they saw was a shadow from his diaphragm. THANK YOU, LORD! What a blessing to receive GOOD medical news! They still went up through a main arterie in Larry's right leg though, so he's on bedrest for a few days now. But how do you like that? NO BLOCKAGES! Clean as a whistle. THANK YOU, LORD!

As for me, I begin my radiation treatments next Monday, Feb 1. I was supposed to have begun yesterday, but there were many hiccups in the procedure. First, the doctor had not yet received approval from the insurance company. Next, the doctor said he would rather wait for the chemo to be completely out of my system, at least one more week. And third, there was a power outage while I was there, which caused all the radiation machines to shut down and need servicing. On top of that, the radiation oncologist was trying to work my radiation around Larry's heart procedure. With all the trip-ups that happened yesterday, we just decided to delay the start of my radiation for another week, and that way, I could give Larry my full attention for his procedure today. Meanwhile, this will give them time to get their fancy machines back up and running again. Radiation was just not meant to be for me yesterday!

Still a great deal of discomfort with this tissue expander. I have many months to go with it still implanted in there. I am also getting discouraged and afraid; my fears go up and down. But there are a few things the radiation oncolgist has said that have weakend my spirit and encouraged more fear. Things like, " Hmmm ... stage 3 ... well, we're doing all we can ..." or, "well, for your advanced case, we're going to use a very sophisticated type of radiation ..." and, "there are no guarantees ..." Ugh. I am so scared.

I think my hair is starting to come back a little. Since I had it shaved, it's always remained bristly, but now, there are soft little peach-fuzz hairs sprouting through the stiff ones. I hope I'm not seeing things! Unfortunately though, I continue to lose eyelashes and eyebrows. Oh well. Hopefully they'll come back soon too.

Guess that's going to have to be it for tonight. I am pretty tired and it's been a long day. Thanks to all of you for your prayers and thoughts for both Larry and me. It is so wonderful to know that so many care about us and are rooting for us! We thank and love you all and are humbled by your continued love and support.

Love to all of you,
Deb AND Larry
3333333333333

3 comments:

  1. Our prayers were answered for our dear brother/brother-in-law. Thank you God. Now on and up with you, keep your faith my dear sister-in-law. Let go, Let God. Ummm easier said than done but we have to keep our faith. I think that your fears are normal and if you don't feel good, take it easy. Your body is telling you to rest so it can get stronger. We love and miss you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep the faith Miss Deb! Next time you talk to that Doc... just think "Ebenezer" and that he needs to be visited by three ghosts to straighten out his 'bedside' manner.
    I am so glad to hear Mr. Larry is good to go... what a GREAT relief.

    Whenever I get stressed I surround myself with pictures of family and places we have gone. Straightens me out right away. Or maybe grab one of your pooches and give'em a snuggle.

    Better yet... Larry a snuggle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can all get to be too much ... hang in there ... it will get better. I put on a bunch of weight with chemo and steroids but am slowly ever so slowly getting it off.

    All the best to you ...

    ReplyDelete