Friday, May 14, 2010

Chemo Brain gets me in Trouble!

Warning: Language contained in this blog may be offensive to some!

Hello everyone!

Well, I have been starting to feel a little better. Still really weak, but better. I have even begun to get back in the kitchen a little bit, which nearly always gets me into trouble. I have never been known for my cooking skills. But I thought a new pressure cooker would get me in the mood, as well as make things easier and faster in the kitchen (not my favorite room in the house).

The new electronic pressure cooker from HSN arrived, and I started right in. Larry was observing. I was telling Larry that I was going to make a recipe that was shown during the pressure cooker's demonstration on HSN: chicken breasts with salsa. I told Larry, as I was preparing the meal, that the gal on the HSN demo put in "cock hard" chicken breasts, and that they were done cooking in a matter of about 15 minutes. Larry listened and watched. "Can you believe it?" I said. "Cock hard!" The pressure cooker began to do its thing, and sure enough, those frozen chicken breasts were cooked through in 15 minutes. We ate. It was good. And I repeated again: "I just can't believe these things cooked in just 15 minutes, when they started off cock hard!" Finally, Larry (who'd been giving me funny looks all the while, which I thought were because of his amazement with the pressure cooker) said to me, "Do you even realize what you're saying? Why do you keep saying that? That's awful!" I didn't understand. Finally, Larry realized that I really and truly didn't realize I was saying anything offensive. He asked me if I had been meaning to say "ROCK HARD." Oh my gosh, was I ever embarrassed! Yes, I had meant ROCK hard! Oh my heavens!!! I guess my chemo brain had been mixing up the thought of a rooster with the frozen chicken breasts. OH DEAR!

I have had many instances of "chemo brain" since my breast cancer journey began. For example, last week, I said I thought I'd wear my "snake skin" pajamas to bed. Where that came from, I have no idea. Trust me, I do not OWN a pair of snake sking pajamas!

Moral of the story:
Yes, there IS such a thing as "chemo brain." For real, folks. For real.

2 comments:

  1. I love the true and honest stories. So... I am wondering what my excuse for a 'whoops I don't belive I said that' story...
    Be happy... be well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post! I am writing because I'm a fan of your pages. Sometimes I also would write
    something to commemorate the happy moment. But it is a long time i did not write for now i
    am busy in my work. I am working in a freshwater pearl jewelry company.In collage, I major in English Teaching so it has some diffilut in this
    field: jewelry set. Tank you again.

    ReplyDelete